Having a pool is a great addition to any home, but it can present some landscaping challenges. A pool expands your outdoor living space and creates a focal point, but it can also interrupt the flow of your landscape. The right landscaping can add life to the entire area and help to blend the boundaries between hardscape and softscape for a more cohesive look.
Tips for Pool Landscaping
The pool shouldn’t overwhelm the yard and become the main element of the landscape. Adding plants, shrubs and flowers will help the pool to become a more naturally integrated part of a larger design. Ultimately, the pool should complement other landscape elements.
When it comes to choosing the right plants to place around the pool, here are some things to consider:
- Ease of maintenance. Look for plants that are hardy and won’t require constant maintenance. Succulents are actually a great option that will add color and texture withing requiring constant watering. For a super low-maintenance approach, consider container gardens.
- Privacy. Tall, lush plants can be placed around the pool to add some privacy and make the pool area feel separated from the rest of the landscape.
- Variety. Think about incorporating a variety of different size plants that offer color and texture.
- Climate. Do your research and make sure that you are installing plants that will thrive in the North Carolina climate. This will help protect your investment and make sure that you have a landscape that continues to look good throughout the year.
- Trees. When looking for the right trees to provide some shade near the pool, go for varieties that will reach the right height and won’t drop leaves, flowers, or fruit into the pool.
Installing the right landscaping around the pool will not only enhance the overall look, but help to create a more fully integrated landscape. With so many plants, shrubs, trees and other landscaping materials to choose from, you can get truly creative with your design. If you are feeling overwhelmed by the options and want help designing the perfect pool landscape, contact the experts at JT’s Landscaping and Lawn Care.